Chaplain George W Dunbar
George W Dunbar name: Dunbar, George W
Rank: Chaplain 
Branch: Union 
Cemetery: Oakhill Cemetery, Janesville, Rock, Wisconsin 
Service: -
Birth: 1833
Death: 1911
Notes: His wife was Adelaide Ruger. 
   Return  | Enlarge Photo | Print | Submit Article | Questions


Thomas Ruger died in Janesville, April 21, 1878. He was born in Northumberland, Saratoga Co., N.Y., February 25, 1802. In early life, he worked on his father's farm, receiving the benefits of good public and private schools, and was, when quite a young man, a school teacher for a year or more. Entering Union College, Schnectady, N.Y., at the age of twenty-two he graduated, after pursuing its full course of study, with high honors, and taking therefrom the degree of Master of Arts.

In 1830, he became the successor of Rev. Dr. Wilbur FISKE, as principal of Wilbraham Academy, in Massachusetts, and, two years afterward, was appointed President of the Wesleyan Seminary, at Lima, N.Y., which position he filled for a period of four years, when he resigned.

In 1836, he was ordained a priest of the Protestant Episcopal Church, and soon after became the Rector of Christ Church Parish, of Sherburne, N.Y. In 1839, he was called to the rectorship of St. John's Church, Marcellus, in the diocese of Western New York. In addition to his pastoral labors, he had charge of the academy there for a period of five years. In 1844, while in attendance at the General Council of the Protestant Episcopal Church, in the city of New York, he was introduced to Bishop Jackson Kemper, whose diocese then included the States of Indiana and Missouri, and the Territories (now States) of Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota. The Bishop urged Mr. Ruger to remove into his diocese and become a helper in the Master's work. Accepting this invitation, he removed in that year, with his family, to Janesville, which then was a humble place of only 200 population, and Rock County contained only 2,000.

Trinity Church Parish, of Janesville, was organized in September, 1844, Mr. Ruger being its first Rector. He officiated, also, at Beloit and Milton, holding missionary services at these points for a year or more; at the same time, the regular services at Trinity were not intermitted. In this field he labored faithfully, and with a great degree of success, for more than ten years, and built up a large parish. Commencing with not to exceed ten members, the parish increased to the number of about two hundred communicants within a period of ten years. In 1855, he resigned the charge of Trinity Parish, and retired from the active ministry. He continued, however, to be a member of the diocese of this State, and officiated in Trinity and Christ Church Parishes, Janesville, occasionally, at the request of the Wardens and when either parish was without a Rector, until the last few years.

Mr. Ruger organized a school, of a high grade, in this city, not long after he settled here, which was called the Janesville Academy. It offered opportunities for acquiring a thorough education in English, the classics and mathematics, and did a great amount of good and was largely attended. After relinquishing the charge of Trinity Parish, he engaged actively in the work of cultivating and improving his farm, and continued in this operation of his youth to the time of his death, with the exception of four years, during which he was Postmaster of Janesville.
All his domestic relations were exceedingly and uninterruptingly happy. His social relations were also pleasant. His manners were without ostentation; the "daily beauty of his life" was such as to draw around him, from the ranks of the high and the low, the rich and the poor, the simple and the wise, men, women and children who loved and reverenced him, and who will honor and cherish his memory.

Mr. Ruger was endowed by nature with a mind of great vigor, and became proficient in the exact sciences and literature, and gave much study and reflection to the immediate subject of his profession. As an orator, many of his clerical compeers were superior to him; but as a writer and a reasoner, few, if any, of them surpassed him. His sermons were practical rather than doctrinal; and while he believed in the creed of his church, and was ready to maintain it on every proper occasion, and to give a reason for his belief, yet he chose rather, as a means of greater good, to lay before his hearers those truths and principles which were delivered by the Master during the period of His ministry, and which, by the generations of men who have since lived, have been regarded as divine.

Mr. Ruger spent little time in recreation, rarely wearied and never rested. During the active period of his clerical life, the ''summer vacation'' had not come to be an incident of the clerical office, and he wrought on, through summer and winter, heat and cold, seeking to perform the trust of his high office acceptably to Him whom he served, and to the spiritual welfare and advancement of the people.

The respect and affection cherished for him and his kindly ways have been most pleasantly and delicately shown by the frequent requests made to him by "contracting parties" to join them in marriage; by the desire of many parents that he should baptize their children; by the many requests of the sick and the afflicted that he should visit them, and by the many invitations he has received to come to the house of mourning, and help to bury the dead.

Father Ruger filled his place in the hearts of his children in the church so acceptably and fully that all regarded his ministrations with favor, and his benedictions as blessings. Thus, for many years, he lived and worked in Janesville, beloved and respected as a man among men and as a minister in the Church.

The Ruger family in America, from which the deceased sprang, came, in the seventeenth century, from Holland to New York, then New Netherland. The paternal ancestors of Mr. RUGER, for three generations back, were born in Dutchess County, N.Y. His mother was Jane (Jewell) Ruger of a Puritan family from Connecticut, of English ancestry. His grandmother, Katherine (LeRoy) Ruger, was of a French Huguenot family.

Mr. Ruger was married soon after his graduation at college, to Miss Maria Hutchins, of Lenox, Madison Co., N.Y. She is still living. The issue of the marriage was four sons and three daughters, in all of whom Mr. and Mrs. Ruger have been greatly blessed. Thomas II, the eldest son, is a Colonel and Brevet Brigadier in the United States Army. Edward held the rank of Colonel in the war, and was in command of the Topographical engineers of the Army of Cumberland, and is now devoted to his profession as a civil engineer in Janesville. William, also has held a responsible position in the army, and is now engaged in the practice of law in Janesville, with his brother-in-law, J. J. R. Pease. Dr. Henry H. is a surgeon in the United States Army. Of the three daughters, two are married - Cornelia M., the eldest, to Mr. Pease, of Janesville, and Addie to Rev. George W. Dunbar, a chaplain in the United States Army. Augusta is the youngest daughter of the family.

Source: from "History of Rock County Wis. (c)1879, pp. 436-437

Print | Return | Home | Rock Veteran's | RCGS