Capt Pliny Norcross
Pliny Norcross name: Norcross, Pliny
Rank: Capt 
Branch: Union 
Regiment: Co. K, 13th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry
Cemetery: Oakhill Cemetery, Janesville, Rock, Wisconsin 
Service: 10/13/1861 - 11/16/1864
Birth: 11/13/1838 Templeton, Massachusetts
Death: 7/11/1915 Janesville, Rock, Wisconsin
Notes: In 1865 he was an attorney with his office in the Lappin Block. His brother Fredrick died on disease while serving in the 13th on May 16, 1865 in Nashville. After his brother's death, per advertisements in the Janesville Gazette, Pliny offered many of his legal services for free to men on active duty, veterans, and their widows.


Nashville National Cemetery

This hallowed ground was established as a U.S. Military Cemetery on Jan. 28, 1867. The Louisville & Nashville Railroad runs through the cemetery, dividing it into two nearly equal halfs. The stone wall around the cemetery and the limestone archway at the front entrance were constructed in 1870. Among other outbuildings and structures, a speakerís rostrum was completed in 1940.

Roll of Honor, No. XXII, dated July 31, 1869, submitted to Quartermaster Generalís Office, U.S.A., Washington, D.C., recorded the graves of 16,485 Union soldiers interred in the national cemetery at Nashville, Tennessee and remains as a part of the cemeteryís historical records.

Originally there were 16,489 interments (burials) of known soldiers and employees: 38 were officers, 10,300 were white soldiers, 1,447 were colored soldiers, and 703 were employees.

Among the unknown, there were 3,098 white soldiers, 463 colored soldiers and 29 employees. The deceased had been gathered from an extensive region of Middle Tennessee and southern Kentucky. The number of distinct burial places from which these bodies were taken is 251.

A very large proportion of the dead in the cemetery, however, were transferred from the hospital burial grounds in and around the city of Nashville and from temporary burial grounds around general hospitals in Nashville and nearby battlefields of Franklin and Gallatin, Tenn. Reinterments were also made from Bowling Green and Cave City, Ky.

During the Civil War, if marked at all, wooden headboards with the names and identifying data painted thereon marked graves of those who died in general hospitals, on the battlefields, or as prisoners of war. Many of these headboards deteriorated through exposure to the elements. The result was that when the remains were later removed for burial to a national cemetery, identifications could not be established, and the gravesites were marked as unknown.

Source: Battle of Nashville Preservation Society Inc. 
   Return  | Enlarge Photo | Print | Submit Article | Questions
Pliny Norcross

Chicago Illinois Ė Obituaries

Believe Pliny Norcross Accidentally Drowned.

Janesville Wis., July 18
Discovery of the body of Pliny Norcross in the millrace of the electric company clears up the mystery of his disappearance Sunday afternoon after dining with relatives while on his annual visit here. It is believed Mr. Norcross fell into the raceway.

Pliny Norcross was 77 years old and had been a resident of Wisconsin since 1854. He moved to Janesville in 1865 and lived here until a few years ago when he moved to Florida.

He was a former regent of the state university, past commander of the Wisconsin G.A.R., served four terms in the Wisconsin legislature, was twice mayor of Janesville, was four years district attorney, and was a leading industrial promoter.

He leaves a widow and three sons, John V and Frederick Norcross, attorneys, of Chicago, and Edward, a physician, -- and a daughter, Mrs. Bessie Mason of Highland Park.

The lights turned on in Janesville for the first time on December 7, 1882. Three months earlier electric service had started in Janesville when five local businessmen incorporated the Janesville Electric Company with the United States Electric Company.

Due to the high costs of what was then a poor service, the Janesville Electric Company lasted only six months. In 1885 the Thomson-Houston Company of Lynn, Massachusetts, built a waterpowered lighting plant, which improved and expanded what was previously known as the Janesville Electric Company. Six years later, in 1891, Pliny Norcorss, a local businessman, took over the plant, eventually improving and expanding the Janesville communityís electric service. That same year Doty Light and Power Company was organized to compete with Norcrossís plant only to be acquired by Norcross in 1899. Norcorssesís owned an electric light plant in Fulton, Wisconsin and Janesville. Together they formed and reestablished the Janesville Electric Company (Janesville Historic Commission, 112).

  13th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry1

Camp Treadway

Located in the city of Janesville, this camp trained the 13th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. It was on the site of today's Rock County Fairgrounds.

The 13th Wisconsin Infantry organized at Janesville, Wis., and mustered in October 17, 1861. Left State for Leavenworth, Kansas, January 13, 1862. Attached to Dept. of Kansas to June, 1862. District of Columbus, Ky., Dept. of the Tennessee, to August, 1862. Garrison Forts Henry and Donelson, Tenn., to June, 1863. 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, Reserve Corps, Dept. of the Cumberland, to October, 1863. Post and District of Nashville, Tenn., Dept. of the Cumberland, to January, 1864. 1st Brigade, Rousseau's 3rd Division, 12th Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to April, 1864. 1st Brigade, 4th Division, 20th Army Corps, Dept. of the Cumberland, to March, 1865. 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 4th Army Corps, to August, 1865. Dept. of Texas to November, 1865.

SERVICE.-March to Fort Scott, Kansas, March 1-7, 1862, and duty there till March 26. Ordered to Lawrence, Kansas, March 26, thence to Fort Riley April 20 and to Fort Leavenworth May 27. Moved to St. Louis, Mo., thence to Columbus, Ky., May 29-June 2. Guard duty along Mobile & Ohio Railroad from Columbus, Ky., to Corinth, Miss., till August. Moved to Fort Henry, Tenn., thence to Fort Donelson, Tenn., September 2 and garrison duty there till November 11. Expedition to Clarksville September 5-10. Action at Rickett's Hill, Clarksville, September 7. Hopkinsville, Ky., November 6. Moved to Fort Henry November 11, and duty there as garrison and guarding supply steamers between the Fort and Hamburg Landing till February 3, 1863. Moved to relief of Fort Donelson February 3. Duty at Fort Donelson till August 27. March to Stevenson, Ala., August 27-September 14 and duty there guarding supplies till October. Moved to Nashville, Tenn., and duty there till February, 1864. Veterans on furlough February-March. Return to Nashville March 28. Garrison duty and guarding railroad trains from Louisville to Chattanooga till April 26. Guard duty along Tennessee River between Stevenson and Decatur till June. Moved to Claysville, Ala., June 4. Picket and patrol duty along Tennessee River till September. Scout from Gunter's Landing to Warrenton July 11 (Co. "C"). March to Woodville, thence to Huntsville, Ala., and guard Memphis & Charleston Railroad from Huntsville to Stevenson, Ala., with headquarters at Brownsboro till November. Repulse of Hood's attack on Decatur , October 26-29. At Stevenson till December. At Huntsville till March, 1865. Paint Rock Ridge December 31, 1864 (Co. "G"). Operations in East Tennessee March 15-April 22. At Nashville, Tenn., till June. Ordered to New Orleans June 16, thence to Indianola, Texas, July 12. Duty at Green Lake and San Antonio, Texas, till November. Mustered out November 24, 1865.

Regiment lost during service 5 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 188 Enlisted men by disease. Total 193.

1 Source: National Park Service, Soldiers and Sailors System; "A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion" by Frederick H. Dyer,Cosmas; An Army for Empire : The United States Army in the Spanish American War by A. Graham, (Shippensburg, PA: White Mane Publishing Co., 1993).

Print | Return | Home | Rock Veteran's | RCGS